On the heels of Cisco’s recently-announced big data portfolio expansion, I wanted to take a moment to share information about the extended relationship between Cloudera and Cisco, long-time partners that are helping clients scale their Hadoop deployments through enterprise-grade performance, manageability, and security enhancements. We’ve worked together to integrate and certify Cloudera Enterprise on Cisco Unified Computing System (UCS), Cisco Data Virtualization, and other Cisco products.
In the Internet of Everything (IoE) era, immense amounts of data are generated daily from smartphones, sensors, video cameras, and other connected devices. Extracting their value and transforming them into actionable business strategies is a daunting challenge for data deluged customers. To make it easier for customers to achieve business outcomes at scale, Cisco and Cloudera are extending the product and engineering collaborations we’ve partnered on for several years. The benefits from this tighter alignment include:
- Simplified computing provisioning for Hadoop at scale: Integration between Cloudera Manager and Cisco UCS Director Express for Big Data delivers seamless scalability of Hadoop environments as data volumes grow, reducing complexity and improving response times.
- Agile, simple and pervasive data: Integration between Cisco Data Virtualization and Cloudera allows customers to abstract, access and query data within a Hadoop cluster for cost-effective processing and data management.
- Enterprise-class security on Hadoop-based Cisco deployments: Cloudera Enterprise, with perimeter security, access control, data visibility, and data protection control functionalities, allows Cisco clients to leverage the benefits of Hadoop without compromising their security requirements.
- Streamlined implementation and consumption: Two-way reference architecture between Cisco and Cloudera, and three-way reference architectures with both NetApp and EMC Isilon, accelerate Hadoop implementations and expedite success.
- Expanded Big Data imperative: Cloudera can continue capitalizing on the fast growing Big Data market opportunity while taking advantage of existing Cisco data center channel promotions and software resale opportunities.
Cisco has been a key partner of Cloudera’s for several years, and the next evolution of our relationship will drive the pervasive adoption of Big Data analytics at enterprise clients. We’re excited to leverage Cisco’s reseller channel to expand further and faster than Cloudera could do independently.
Several joint customers have already benefited from the Cloudera-certified Cisco solution and reference architecture.
As Abhishek Banerjee, Western Union’s senior director of engineering explained:
“The explosion of data presents a big opportunity for us to directly impact our customers’ lives and make them easier. Our Cloudera enterprise data hub, running on Cisco’s high-density UCS servers via their joint reference architecture, is empowering Western Union to build a 360-degree customer view and improve SIEM without having to worry about tweaking performance or operations under the hood of our infrastructure.
“One insight revealed by the Cloudera hub was that many web and mobile customers frequently process repeat transactions—they send the same amount of money to the same recipient at the same time each month. This data prompted us to add a ‘Send Again’ button to make the process of repeating payments much more convenient for the customer, which immediately translated into conversion uptake.”
Jim McHugh, vice president of Cisco Unified Computing System and Data Center Solutions Marketing added, “Cisco is committed to providing a best-of-breed infrastructure that will expedite the adoption of Big Data analytics. Having Cloudera — the market leader in Hadoop-based products and services — as our partner is of paramount importance to our ability to execute on this strategy. The opportunity to resell Cloudera’s platform signifies an important and impactful progression of our partnership.”
For more information on joint solutions provided by Cloudera and Cisco, visit http://www.cloudera.com/content/cloudera/en/solutions/partner/Cisco.html or stop by the Cisco booth at an upcoming Cloudera Sessions event near you.